If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received at this practice please let us know. Most problems can be sorted out easily, and often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. You can also leave any feedback you would like to share with us by visiting our feedback page.

For problems that can’t be sorted out in this way, we operate a practice complaints procedure as part of a NHS system for dealing with complaints.

If you have a problem, you have the right to raise your complaint directly with the service provider, or alternatively with the commissioner of the service. We hope that you will use our practice complaints procedure, as we believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong, and will provide an opportunity to improve our practice.

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services, such as GP and dental practices. If you do not feel able to raise your concerns directly with the practice, you can forward your complaint about these services to NHS England on 0300 311 22 33.

Practice Complaints Procedure

If you wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident
  • Within 12 months of you discovering a cause for complaint

It is important that you provide as much information as you can when making a formal complaint. All formal complaints should be addressed to our practice manager. If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are not permitted to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.

Alternatively, you may wish to speak informally to the practice manager to discuss your concerns. Our practice manager will explain the complaints procedure to you, and will make sure that your concerns are dealt with promptly.

We will acknowledge the receipt within 3 working days, and aim to have investigated the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person investigating the complaint to attempt to resolve the issue.

If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses. When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved in investigating your complaint if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete, your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you. Where your complaint involves more than one organisation, such as a hospital or social services, we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint, and also your right to escalate the matter further, if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Taking Your Complaint Further

If you remain dissatisfied at the end of local resolution, you can put your complaint to the Health Services Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can carry out independent investigations into complaints about poor treatment, or a service provided through the NHS in England. The Ombudsman’s services are free.

If you have any questions about whether the ombudsman may be able to help you or about how to make a complaint, you can contact them on the following:

You can also write to them at:

  • The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
    Millbank Tower
    SW1P 4QP

To find out more, please visit the Ombudsman services website.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved. We will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy. Please ask at reception for the complaints form which allows the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident, it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of your circumstances in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply. We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, but this is subject to the wording of the authority provided.